Sunday, September 25, 2005

Book Festival

Yesterday I went to the Festival of the Book in DC. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me (husband took that with him on his Colorado adventure)as there were so many good photo opportunities. Other than the book festival there was the antiwar demonstration and a Segway convention.

First for the book festival - I met Giada De Laurentiis (the Italian girl from the Food Network) first. Absolutely beautiful and charming and not as thin as she looks on TV. David McCullough was also nice as was Laura Lippman and Martha Grimes. The only one that I saw who brought an entourage was Martha Grimes. Her sister? ran the show pretty much and her son (business manager) was there along with his wife and two toddlers. I felt for the daughter-in-law as it looked like she was going to be chasing one of the toddlers for the entire hour.

Other people that I saw - Robert MacNeil (I thought he was dead for some reason), Nevada Barr, Laura Numeroff (Give a Mouse a Cookie), Chris Madden, Steve Roberts and Laurie Smith. The only surprise was Nevada Barr who was more glamorus than I thought she would be.

Next year I will be investing in one of those rolling backpacks.

Any controversies? Tom Wolfe (whom I have not read) had a huge line. From what people were saying he talked a lot to a few people and when his hour was up he just got up and left leaving lots of stranded people. John Irving would only sign a certain book.

Will write about the protest later.

No comments: