Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Playing Tennis

Until the middle of my junior year of high school I lived in Niagara Falls, New York. (We then moved to Orange County CA but that is another story).

My freshman year I joined the Freshman Tennis team which was coed. I stunk. There are no other words to describe it. After my freshman year I took a week of lessons and played JV on the girls team. By my junior year I played Varsity. Generally second doubles. Imagine my surprise when I looked up the Niagara Falls Gazette on line tonight and saw my former coach
as the top sports story. Art Johnson was a great coach and is now coaching in his 37th year for the boys team.

We did not have fancy uniforms. We wore hand me down sweats that the boys wore in the spring. Our high school was in a field out in the country. One day the fog rolled in and it was hard to see. Some girls from Buffalo wanted to know "if it does that here often?" Grrrr.
I remember those days with fondness. Tennis was fun.

No comments: