Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

Yesterday my goal was to read to page 100 of this book. By that page I was not sure that I would continue. The subject matter was gruesome, but not in a bloody sort of way, and it looked like the book would have no redeeming value.

But I had read many reviews of this story and only one was negative. So this morning I opened the book with fresh eyes and oh my goodness. . . I finished the last 304 pages in one day.

The Thirteenth Tale could have gone bad in so many ways. Just when I thought the story would go one way it was snatched back and told in a way not imagined. I did not figure out the end before I read it. The descriptive writing was beautiful and though the book Jane Eyre is mentioned a lot in the story The Thirteenth Tale is a much more enjoyable book.

No comments: