Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bees


Last night I went to my first bee keeping class. For those of you who don't know I was an entomology major in college. I signed up for a bee keeping class but I also was dating husband at the time and his fraternity formal was the same weekend as a mandatory class field trip. I, of course, dropped the class and went to the formal:-)

Bee keeping is quite interesting. An electric fence is mandatory due to bears and skunks who EAT the bees. Sigh. The first speaker has been stung so many times that she now has to wear a medical alert bracelet due to the severe reactions that have developed.

One must also try to be the only bee keeper in a two mile radius. A friend about 1/2 mile away is getting a hive as is another person about a mile away. I also have to point my hive away from the neighbors pool and make sure that it faces southeast to catch the morning rays. So the big question is, where to put it?

1 comment:

east village idiot said...

You are fearless!