Tuesday, June 01, 2010

June 1/ The Double Comfort Safari Club

Dear Son,

I am reading the above book which is by Alexander McCall Smith. An interesting man who, when I met him a couple of years ago at a book signing, wore a kilt. The title of the book however makes me think of you and your adventure.

A quote from the book reminds me of your great grandparents - the one that you are named for and his wife.

"Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni listened politely. He knew that Mma Mateleke had a tendency to talk at great length; indeed, he could always tell when Mma Ramotswe had been to see her friend because she inevitable came back not only exhausted but also disinclined to say very much. "Mma Mateleke has done all my talking for me today," she once said. "I cannot say anything more until tomorrow. Or maybe the day after that. It has all been said."

Your great grandparents called me one day when I was at college. As usual Grandma did most of the talking. Eventually there was a pause and she said "Well Reuben, aren't you going to say anything?" Another pause and then his reply. "There is nothing left to be said."

Cracks me up every time that I think of it.

Love,

Mom

2 comments:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

"I cannot say anything more until tomorrow. Or maybe the day after that. It has all been said."

"There is nothing left to be said."

LOVE them both!

And surmise that people around me, would say the same. ,-)

Nan said...

I am so looking forward to reading this. And I love that quote. I do get exhausted from conversations, from get-togethers that go on a long time. I have to be quiet for a while to recover. And I've always been this way even when I was a young one.