Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Laying a Foundation


The other day I was whining to myself about my lack of skill in certain areas. This came about as I was thinking about turning 51 in a few weeks, having some skin cancer taken off of my face this week etc. What to do with the rest of my life. Do I like the job that I have? Do I want to do something different? Is it too late? I feel the years slipping by fast.

First, the skin cancer is basal and I should be fine. So that concern should be checked off.

Second, I love my job and it gives me the time to pursue other interests. Check.

Third, 51 is still young. Check.

Fourth, and I think this was my most important revelation of the past few weeks, is that if I want to do something else I have to properly lay the foundation. I did that for my job and still do it. I read for it, research for it, take classes for it. I subbed before I got the job, taught Sunday School for years to get ready and the prep paid off.
So as I try to decide what my next step in life will be I think of this often. Laying the foundation for something new, whether it be playing the violin better, crafting better, getting chickens, gardening better. It's all about the prep. And I will live like I have the time to properly do so.

1 comment:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Glad for the good news...

51 is a neat place/time to stop and take stock. Seems you did a good job of so doing. A wise plan, for the future.

Gentle hugs,
"November comes
And November goes,
With the last red berries
And the first white snows.

With night coming early,
And dawn coming late,
And ice in the bucket
And frost by the gate.

The fires burn
And the kettles sing,
And earth sinks to rest
Until next spring."


- Elizabeth Coatsworth