Sunday, August 19, 2012

Congo Bars Recipe

I spent a rainy, cool summer afternoon watching one of my favorite shows (on dvd) Last of the Summer Wine and having a Congo Bar made from my grandmother's recipe with a nice hot mug of coffee.  An easy, quick recipe to make and enjoy.


Congo Bars

2  1/4 cups flour
2  1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2  tsp salt
2/3 cup melted butter
2  1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 pkg chocolate chips

Set oven to 350*.  Melt butter and add brown sugar.  Add 1 egg at a time and beat well.  Add vanilla and dry ingredients.  Stir in chips.  Pour into large cookie sheet and bake 20 minutes.  Let cool and cut into squares.  

I used a 9 X 13 inch pan and baked for 40 minutes as they were much thicker.



1 comment:

Nan said...

Not sure if I've ever made these, but the name is so famous. Thanks. I'll save the recipe. They sound delish!