Thursday, August 19, 2010

I can see the moving van

through the trees at the house down the street. The retired couple is moving to Georgia to be close to family and we are getting new neighbors from? I do hope that there are children. It will keep the street from aging too much.

We moved here when the boys were 5 and 3. Our area in Florida was increasingly no place to raise children. Home invasions had happened twice within an eighth of a mile of our house, the one neighbor was beating up her husband, children (except for mine) stayed indoors and people didn't answer their doors. Only curtains moved, letting you know that someone was watching. An older couple came to the door one day taking a survey and told me that the neighborhood creeped them out.

So we moved our little family 13 hours north. Rented a uhaul and then put a small trailer on that. Then gave away the rest of the stuff.

Husband, S2 and my father-in-law drove the truck while I drove the minivan filled to the brim with household stuff, a 5 year old, my mother-in-law and two unhappy kitties. We lived with my brother-in-law and his family for a few days and then on to our tiny town to a new life. Lots of changes. It snowed after we moved in. My children wore plastic bags on their feet tied around the ankles so they could play with new friends outside. Kindergarten was now full day.

But it was a good move. No helicopters out with search lights at night. Neighbors spoke and stayed outside to do lawn work and play.

I hope that the new family enjoys their move as much as we enjoyed ours.

No comments: