Monday, April 07, 2014

The Planting of Tulips/Thinking Outside the Box


Shhh.  Don't tell anyone but I broke planting rules/instructions.  A couple of years ago I went to a Tulip farm and found the above growing in the field.  The instructions from the owners were when you picked a tulip to take home you dug up the bulb with it.  And in about the same time the thought came to mind that I could replant the bulb immediately with the greenery on it and get new tulips the following spring I was told that I could not plant the bulb because once picked the bulb was worthless.

Which begs why pick the bulb in the first place? . . .

I didn't listen.  And was especially happy that I didn't as I tried to order bulbs for this tulip and received notice in the fall that they were not going to be available.

After the first year one tulip appeared.  This year two came up.  I like the flower but love the striped foliage.  Of course I can't remember the name of this particular variety.

But it shows that with gardens sometimes rules are flexible and after a long hard winter the surprise of it is definitely enjoyed.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Hi Jodi:
Plan your next trip for Amsterdam and go to the flower market there & I bet you'll find those bulbs!
Best,
Andrea