Wednesday, December 30, 2009

No TV News

will be my motto for the new year.

And my reason is this:

I watch different kinds of news. Sometimes it is the conservative cable channel, sometimes it is a more liberal channel and sometimes I swing over to the middle of the road version.

But news doesn't have to be factual/true anymore. It just exists to work on viewer's emotions, get them angry, and then bask in the increase in viewership.

Today I had the conservative station on. Saw what they were talking about. Thought something was wrong. Looked up the topic online.

Part of what was being discussed was true, but a key element had been left out. If it had been put in the story would barely have made a mention. But without the key element the panel discussion could go on at length about it. And blow it out of proportion.

So, in my quest to lead a more peaceful life I am giving up TV news. I may still keep the paper and may still listen to the BBC on the radio (but as my radio in my car has died that will be doubtful).

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

1 comment:

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I use the Internet.