Sunday, July 15, 2012

Summer garden produce




Last summer travel was the theme.  This year it is garden and lawn work.  We have been busy clearing a new area for gardens, eating area and chickens - which we hope to have in about 4 weeks or so.
We have quite a few vegetables planted on our deck in containers which is where the pickling cucumbers are and the zucchini.  Other things growing there are tomatoes, summer and winter squash, regular cucumbers and sweet peppers.  Everything is covered with bird netting due to the herd of deer that live around here.  I saw two bucks the other day and as soon as they left a doe came for a visit!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Jodi, I was tempted to grow beach plum bushes here, but a friend said the birds just eat them all and if you put nets on the plants, the birds get stuck in the nets. I decided to make it easy on myself and skip it.

jodi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jodi said...

Having problems with my own comments. I use the bird netting on the veggies to keep the deer away. The deer have been coming up on the deck. I can see where it would be an issue with fruit trees.

east village idiot said...

All these pickles remind me of the fried pickles we had in North Carolina. I must confess that I loved them!